Now that Unit 1 is over, all focus now is on the final show and work made in response to my project proposal. Ahead of my tutorial this week, where we’ll discuss the next six months, I thought it useful to try and map out that time to better understand timelines and what’s doable:
Final Show: July 2018 – this leaves 8 months until the actual show, so 6 months to experiment, research and produce work directly related to the piece.
Rough plan for final piece:
PART 1: DIGITAL VIDEO
a film made up of 22 vignettes, with 11 different collaborating artists or vocalists (each appearing in 2 vignettes each totalling around 3-5 minutes). Each vignette is defined by the performance, inclusion or reference to a particular cover song.
PART 1 TO DO:
- Experimentation with sound – a key thing to begin ASAP as it will be the base the rest of the project sits on, and is something I have the least experience in experimenting with
- Begin experimenting with shooting vignettes – for practicality I may begin by videoing myself and make a couple of songs myself. I’ll also attempt to identify and reach out to a handful of potential collaborators to get the ball rolling, probably people from within my existing sphere.
PART 2: PHYSICAL INSTALLATION
This comprises of the physical presentation of the above film as well as any material artefacts.
PART 2 TO DO:
- Begin some intentional practical research into exhibition presentation using any exhibitions on show in London, Birmingham, Paris, etc. (wherever I’ll be in the next few months), adding to concepts explored in my research paper, to begin a proper practical plan of how the final installation may look.
- Engage in some practical, workshop-based experimentation.
PART 3: ONLINE PRESENTATION AND DISSEMINATION
This is the part I have the least clear vision of, in terms of how it will actually work. Instead I have some intentions which may help shape activity: rather than simply upload to a streaming/video channel or try to get (which may still be a useful tool) but think of a way that this presentation might become part of the work. Initial ideas I’ve had are to add a transient element, maybe a pair of vignettes that have to be performed live? However my intention was more the opposite, for the work to be as impactful online as in person, rather than making t even more clear the online is an incomplete version.
PART 3 TO DO:
- Again, building on some f the ideas explored in the research paper, begin looking at ways that the work can continue to exist online in a meaningful way – i.e. not just a static relic sitting in a video player.